Monday, January 11, 2010

danny gatton -- my guitar hero

Danny Gatton was a guitar player's guitar player. I remember hanging out in New Orleans a couple of years ago with one of my guitar buddies Steve Dimant. I remember putting this video on and Steve, like any guitar player seeing Gatton for the first time, was flabbergasted. Shortly after that I was playing Chick Hall's Surf Club with Creole Stomp. The Surf Club was one of the oldest Honkytonks in the Washington DC area. Chick Hall passed away a number of years ago. He had been Glen Miller's guitar player. That night at the bar I met one of Chick Hall's sons. I asked him if Danny Gatton, he was from the DC area, had ever played there. He said no but he used to come in all the time to watch dad play. Apparently, Danny learned some of his tricks from Chick.

2 comments:

Parentheticus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Parentheticus said...

Amazing. He is a veritable virtuoso!